logwatch question

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Fri Mar 12 13:32:02 UTC 2004

tom pollerman wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:33:16 -0500
> tom pollerman <tompollerman at mail.landolls.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Bill,
>>
>>     The default setting in Logwatch is to report ALL the services
>>listed in /etc/log.d/scripts/services/*. If you don't want mrtg to
>>be reported you can remove it from there. Or, you can explicitly
>>list the services Logwatch reportes by editing /etc/conf/logwatch
>>and changing'Service=ALL' to 'Service=<theservicesyouwant>'. Just
>>add additional Service=<?> lines.
>>  ie.,
>>
>>Service=modprobe
>>Service=init
>>Service=cron
>>etc......
>>
>>                                                  Tom

Good to know, thanks.

>   Additionally, you can edit /etc/log.d/conf/logwatch.conf and change
> 'Archives = Yes' to 'No' if you don't want archived log fies reported.
>
>                                                    Tom

The issue is not THAT logwatch is reporting on mrtg, it is that it is
reporting on mrtg for MORE THAN 'yesterday'. I want logwatch to use the
archives if necessary, because there will be days when a log is archived
before logwatch has a change to read it.

I just don't understand why it is reporting what it finds in logs going
back several years, instead of just what was entered yesterday.

Thanks for the help.

Bill