apache cgi question

I can run cgi scripts in my browser from my /cgi-bin/ dir
but I can not execute cgi scripts from within html scripts with <|--#exec cgi="./counter.cgi" -->
I have typed
Options +ExecCGI
AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .cgi
AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl
in .htaccess in documentroot dir and typed this in httpd.conf within my <Directory "/var/www/html">
AllowOverride Options
But still it doesn't work.
The permission is set to 775 for the script and it works when I type perl counter.cgi but not from a html page.
Any ideas?