LDAP mess up

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Sun Mar 14 15:04:19 UTC 2004

Ed Wilts wrote:

> Run redhat-config-authentication and turn ldap back off.  When I played
> with it briefly, I turned ldap authentication on but I tested it with
> another session without logging off first.  I discovered all I needed to
> do was to make sure the ldap server was started.

This doesn't help you if your LDAP server dies for any reason, you're
back to where you started.

A fix that worked for me was to add a line to /etc/pam.d/system-auth.
Remember that if you run authconfig again, you will overwrite your
changes and be back to square one. Please complain to Redhat so that we
can get this bug fixed - it has been outstanding since Redhat v7.3 or
earlier.

Add the line marked with the arrow:

account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
account     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_localuser.so <--
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore
service_err=ignore system_err=ignore] /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so

Regards,
Graham