DLT firmware

I have a compaq server running RH 8 I just stuck an internal DLT8000 quantum
tape drive into it.  The "write protected" light stays on no matter if the
tape is write protected or not.
I thought upgrding the frimware might fix my issue.  I have downloaded a
piece of software from Compaq but it cannot find the firmware that I
downloaded from Quantum.  The tech at Quantum has pointed me to a piece if
software that only runs on windoze.
Has nayone ever upgraded the firmware of the dlt drive on a Linux box?
How?
Thanks,
Doug