IPtables Email Alerting

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Mar 16 00:10:40 UTC 2004

On 09:18 15 Mar 2004, Real Cucumber <monkcucumber at yahoo.com> wrote:
| Does anyone know if there is a way to have email alerts sent for when certain IPtables triggered events occur?
| I know it is possible to use -j LOG to log such events, hoping there is a -j MAIL option?

You'd need to just use "LOG" and do something like this:

	tail -f /var/log/messages \
	| while read line
	  do
	    if echo "$line" | grep -s 'the line you want'
	    then
		echo "$line" | mail ....... # dispatch email here
	    fi
	  done

The while/read stuff if to avoid stdio buffering latency.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise
of public safety.       - Thomas Jefferson