can't "lock screen" in Gnome Desktop - Redhat 9

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Tue Mar 16 02:10:33 UTC 2004

On March 15, 2004 11:44 am, jg wrote:
> This is odd, I'll log into my RH 9.0 desktop, fire up
> some apps, (i.e., Opera, VmWare with XP inside,
> gAIM/yahoo, some terminals, etc...)
>
> At 1st after a fresh login, I can select lock screen &
> it will lock.
> Then I don't know, for some reason, later on,
> unpredictably, as I use the system more, maybe open
> more apps, close some, etc...
> I go to lock the screen again & nothing. It will not
> lock.  It just stays there.
> I try closing all my apps thinking something is hung,
> or what not, it still will not lock, so I have to
> resort to logging out completely.
> What could cause this?
> And, isn't there a hot-key sequence to lock my screen?
>
> On a related note...
> I notice sometimes apps kind of unexpectedly
> stutter/hang momentarily too, not sure why.
> My machine is a P4 2Ghz/512Mb Ram w/ swap file =
> 1024Mb.
>
> Not running any big services on it, only rsource
> sucking app is VmWare (XP inside, used for Outlook
> only) and i don't always run it....
> Again this is RH 9.0.
>
> Any idear?

Hi,
I have the same problem with the desktop locking at work, but I use RH9 & KDE.
Everything works fine on mine until I fire up vmware, then even quitting
vmware does not allow the desktop to be locked. You can fall back to puting
vmware full screen and locking wibndows, although that is only an illusion of
security, it doesn't actually lock the Linux desktop.

As for the performance, you may have noticed that vmware runs a whole bunch of
processes at nice -19 (the highest priority!) I have a script that reduces
the priority level on all the user owned vmware processes. So far I have left
the root owned ones as they are.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce