problem restated RE: inode-max and file-max question (lesscryptic)

Ben Yau byau at cardcommerce.com
Tue Mar 16 16:22:01 UTC 2004

> On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 08:24, Ben Yau wrote:
> > Hi again
> >
> > Perhaps I should just state he original issue (in case I am
> barking up the
> > wrong tree by looking at file-max/inode-max).
> >
> > The programmer wlil want to do some tracking.  the tracking
> will take place
> > every month.. So we are looking at one main root dir, 12
> subdirs (one for
> > each month), and up to 1.5 million files generated per month.
> >
> > What is the proper way to do this?
>
> I just realized my last message was too cryptic.
>
> You really don't want to start creating a directory with up to 1.5
> million files.  The performance will be horrendous.
>
> What you would really want to do is have your tracking application use a
> database to keep the tracking records.  Will also make it much easier to
> search/retrieve information.
>
> Regards,
> Ed

Yes I agree with you.   I'm glad you pointed it out also.  At the same time
I emailed this request to the mailing list (a lot of it out of curiosity) i
sent an email  back to the programmre who requested it.   Doing some simple
calcluatoins basically they would be creating a file every 2 seconds (!!!)