authentication question

I'm at a loss for how to do authentication well for a small group of linux machines.

We have several linux hosts, all of which run samba, and all of which should use a single password per user, or at least, a single password change program which changes all passwords. Samba really wants to use a domain server or to keep it's own password database separate from the unix passwords.

Any suggestions on how to get these all authenticated off the same database?

The only thing I can see to do is to turn one into a domain controller and have everything else authenticate off that. Are there any other alternatives?

--rich