authentication question

MKlinke mklinke at axsi.com
Thu Mar 18 04:51:46 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 22:38, you wrote:

> That and having spent numerous frustrating hours trying to sort out
> windows networking problems in the past lead me to suspect that
> that effort would have a steep learning curve and significant time
> investment.
>
> I guess I'm still hoping for a turn-key solution complete with a
> HOWTO.
>
> --rich

Going in I thought it was going to be a pretty time consuming task
too.  In my case, though, it was pretty much a slam dunk.  I already
had a NT4 domain PDC/BDC and the samba documentation was easy and
straight forward for setting up a RH box sharing drive space for the
domain users authenticated against the PDC.

Reading /usr/share/doc/samba-3.0.2/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf was
key for me. I spent 1/2 hour or so discovering that I had typed
"windbind" where I should have typed "winbind" <hint><hint>

Regards,  Mike Klinke