[Fwd: The modem chicken and egg question? Newbie Alert!]

J Simpson V21 hubblesimpson at members.v21.co.uk
Thu Mar 18 22:35:26 UTC 2004

> Hi,
> Is the com port availble?
> Try, as root:
> setserial /dev/ttyS3
>
> If should return something like:
> /dev/ttyS3, UART:  16550A, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
>
> If it is not enabled in hardware, it will show:
> /dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
>
> If needed, you can use setserial to change i/o & irq to match
> your hardware
> setings:
> setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0x02e8 irq 3
> Have a look at "man seterial".
>
> Hope that helps.
> --
> Pete Nesbitt, rhce

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your response.
When I worked out how to get to root I tried setserial /dev/ttys3 it said
input/output error.  I tried setserial/dev/ttys3 it said no such file or
directory.

I found the man setserial and then tried setserial-g and setserial-a and
then I tried setserial -g and setserial -a

No of it gave me
>> If should return something like:
> /dev/ttyS3, UART:  16550A, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
>
> If it is not enabled in hardware, it will show:
> /dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

The man file didn't make much sense apart from I didn't try anything that
said 'set' as there was a warning about locking up the computer.

Any further help gratefully received.

I have Redhat 9 and a Motorola SM56 Speakerphone modem, on com 4.  I just
want to get online.

Janet