[Fwd: The modem chicken and egg question? Newbie Alert!]

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 19 01:45:19 UTC 2004

J Simpson V21 wrote:

<SNIP>

> Hi Pete,
>
> Thanks for your response.
> When I worked out how to get to root I tried setserial /dev/ttys3 it said
> input/output error.  I tried setserial/dev/ttys3 it said no such file or
> directory.
>
> I found the man setserial and then tried setserial-g and setserial-a and
> then I tried setserial -g and setserial -a
>
> No of it gave me

<SNIP>

Sorry to jump in here, but this thread has been going for a while and
nobody's mentioned this as far as I can tell:

If you were to get yourself an external serial modem of decent
make/quality, you will never have any of these problems. You mention you
just want to get on the net, so it may be an option for you to just grab
a "real" modem as opposed to the cheap soft modem that is in your system?

It will save you all these headaches.

Regards,
Ed.