SMB Authentication on RH8

hi everyone !!!!

When I was installing RH8 for first time it show me an option for authentication methods, I select SMB and fill the fields WORKGROUP and DOMAIN CONTROLERS with the information of my LAN, and then I conf. SAMBA, join the Linux machine to my domain, and voila a user of my domain can login in this maquine as like a Windows machine....

My quiestion is...

How PAM, RH or anything in the bless name of God do this posible...??? I can do it in the rest of Linux distro ??? How ??

Regards

Hernan Dario