MX record

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Fri Mar 19 11:41:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 geeta at cdfd.org.in wrote:

> Hello ,
>
> We have firewall (used for natting) and inside our LAN only
> we have in one machine where public IP natted to private IP
> the DNS server and email server. Now I want to forward the
> emails to a different machine.
>
> Now my qn is can the email server be given the private IP or should it
> also have public IP natted to private IP
>
> present entry in named.hosts
>
> IN MX 100 www.cdfd.org.in.
> cdfd.org.in In A 210.212.212.3
>
> Now I want to change to
>
> IN MX 100 mail.cdfd.org.in
> mail.cdfd.org.in IN A ?
>
> ? --> can be a private IP or not

If you want the world to be able to email you, it has to be a public IP.
It probably won't matter to your systems that live behind the firewall, as
they'll be configured to send mail to/retrieve mail from the machine on
the private IP.

But for the purposes of the outside world, the DNS that gets fed to that
outside world should be a public IP, and it should be nat'd back to your
private IP.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit