"-- Mark --" error message

tom pollerman tompollerman at mail.landolls.com
Sun Mar 21 16:54:30 UTC 2004

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 13:11:27 -0000
Kieran Hood <k_hood at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Every so often "-- MARK --" is printed in my console, do you know
> what is causing this? I had to fix my fstab file after the FS went
> corrupt, could this be related to it? Thanks.

This is a 'timestamp" which /sbin/syslogd writes to the log at set
intervals, 20 min. by default.
You can suppress it by starting syslogd with '-m 0'.

           man syslogd

from my /etc/init.d/syslog:

-----> snip

umask 077

start() {
        echo -n "Starting system logger: "
        # we don't want the MARK ticks
        daemon syslogd -m 0
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        echo -n "Starting kernel logger: "
        daemon klogd
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/syslog

------>snip

                                  Best,

                                  Tom