Connecting to Internet

Bob Drzyzgula redhat at drzyzgula.org
Sun Mar 21 22:53:03 UTC 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 11:44:11PM +0100, Patrick Cordes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> maybe this request is really silly, but i,m a newbie.
> My Problem is if i connect to the internet (via ppp0) the modems dials
> an connects, but often my applications like evolution or gaim can't
> connect, even if the systemlog tells me the i'am online.

You say "often"; this happens intermittantly? When, say,
gaim can't connect can other applications connect?  Or is
it that sometimes when you appear to be connected, *no*
applications can connect? In one of these situations,
look up the IP addresses of your DNS server(s) in
/etc/resolv.conf. Try to ping them (e.g., if say your
DNS server is 192.168.1.1, then at the command line,
try ping 192.168.1.1). Do you get a response or does
it time out?  Try the command "dig www.microsoft.com".
Does it work?