X Server does not work on RedHat 9 with more than 256 colors for Intel 865

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Mon Mar 22 01:43:31 UTC 2004

I had the same problem.  Apparently the machines came with BIOS revision
A03.  It sets the video ram to 1 MB.  I had to downgrade them to A02.
Once done, go into the BIOS and set the video memory from 1 MB to 8 MB.
After that, I am able to get 1768x1024 (or something like that) with 24
bit color.

The BIOS revision can be found on Dell's web site.  Unfortunately, I
don't have the URL handy.  If you can't find it, let me know and I'll
email you the program (Windows/DOS executable)

Ryan