Mysql setup on server install - but it's no there

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Mar 23 01:58:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 07:07:36PM -0600, Jody Cleveland wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> # up2date --showall >rhel.packages
> # grep -i mysql-server rhel.packages
>
> > If you don't see it there, subscribe to the Extras channel and pick it
> up from there.
>
> That ended up showing nothing. So, I subscribed to the Extras channel
> and downloaded the mysql packages. When I tried to install them, it said
> they were all ready installed... But yet, still no mysqld service, and I
> can't run mysql...

I've got them from the mysql-server package.  I'm running Red Hat
Professional Workstation and it uses the rhel-ws channels.  mysql-server
is in there.

[ewilts at p6000 ewilts]$ rpm -qf /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld
mysql-server-3.23.58-1

I then checked my test RHEL ES box and this is what I see there:
[root at pe400 root]# up2date --show-channels
rhel-i386-es-3
rhel-i386-es-3-extras
rhel-i386-es-3-devsuite
[root at pe400 root]# up2date --showall >rhel-es.packages
[root at pe400 root]# grep mysql rhel-es.packages
libdbi-dbd-mysql-0.6.5-5.i386
mod_auth_mysql-20030510-1.ent.i386
mysql-3.23.58-1.i386
mysql-3.23.58-1.i386
mysql-bench-3.23.58-1.i386
mysql-bench-3.23.58-1.i386
mysql-devel-3.23.58-1.i386
mysql-devel-3.23.58-1.i386
mysql-server-3.23.58-1.i386     <---------
php-mysql-4.3.2-8.ent.i386

Are you sure you're subscribed to the extras channel, installed
mysql-server, and still can't find /etc/rc.d/init.d?

Please do the following:
# up2date --show-channels
and let's verify which channels you've got.
# rpm -qa 'mysql*'
You should see mysql-server listed.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA