Add a new HardDisk

Hamilton, Andrew Andrew.Hamilton at afccc.af.mil
Tue Mar 23 16:08:37 UTC 2004

This assumes you have formated the filesystem and it is ready to mount.
Have you done that?  If not look at the newfs or mkfs commands.  Pick your
filesystem type, ie ext3, reiserfs, etc and format the drive.  Then you can
mount it.  If your home directory is a separate mount point already I would
just edit the fstab and modify the /home line to use the new hdd that you
just mounted.  I usually mount it to a temp spot, copy everything over
unmount it from the temp spot, unmount the current home directory, assuming
no one is using it, then just mount the new to the current spot.

Regards,

Drew

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 10:50, truejack at indiainfo.com wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am new to the LINUX thing. Mostly been a Microsoft guy so far.
>
> I need a add a new HardDisk to my RH8.0 box.
>
> How do I go about doing it and configuring the new Hardrive.
>
> I am pasting mt df -h output here
>
> Filesystem            Size        Used    Avail      Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda3              14G      12G       2.0G     86%         /
> /dev/hda1              99M     17M      76M      18%        /boot
> /dev/hda2              20G      16G       4.1G      79%       /home
> none       & nbsp;          503M          0         502M      0%
> /dev/shm
> /dev/hdc1              57G      19G       35G        34%
> /software
> /dev/hdc2              57G      40G       14G        73%      /space
>
> And, I would like move /home to the new HDD I create, how do get that
> done.
>
> Thanks in advance

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Assuming /dev/hdd1 /var/home