Could be routing problem?

Mark Neidorff mark at neidorff.com
Tue Mar 23 17:58:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Cowles, Steve wrote:

> MKlinke wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps I've missed this but I haven't seen any investigation of
> > whether there's a .forward/.procmail/alias issue here.  Mark have you
> > look at this angle?  I noticed that the first to was to
> > mark at neidorff.com and all the subsequent were to=mark.
> >
> > Regards,  Mike Klinke
>
> That's a good point! I didn't even think of the .forward or .procmail files.
> Both these files (improperly configured) "could" cause sendmail to log a
> stat=Sent on the original inbound e-mail, but also deliver to another
> address causing a loop.
>
> Steve Cowles

OK.  There are no .forward files on the system at all.  There is a system
/etc/procmailrc file.  It looks like this:

SHELL=/usr/bin/sh
LOGFILE=/tmp/procmail.log
VERBOSE=yes
LOGABSTRACT=all

# Mark's stuff
:0:
* ^TO_mark
!mark

<snip of other rules>

#send root's mail to root
:0:
* ^TO_.root
!root

# catchall rule for those that fall through the rest
:0:
* ^Subject:.*
!mark

I've looked through the logs and the rules do get triggered properly.

The only ~/.procmailrc is in my (mark) home directory and it looks like
this:

VERBOSE=yes
LOGABSTRACT=all
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
PMDIR=$HOME/Procmail
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log

:0:
* ^TO.fedora
fedora

<snip of other rules>

I've been told that I shouldn't need the lock for delivery in the
~/.procmailrc and the /etc/procmailrc files, but without them the mail
disappears (not a desired outcome, although it does cut down on spam <big
grin>).

When you mention aliases, do you mean the sendmail /etc/mail/aliases file
or the system alias file?

Here is /etc/mail/aliases

# Basic system aliases -- these MUST be present.
mailer-daemon:	postmaster
postmaster:	root

# General redirections for pseudo accounts.
bin:		root
daemon:		root
adm:		root
lp:		root
sync:		root
shutdown:	root
halt:		root
mail:		root
news:		root
uucp:		root
operator:	root
games:		root
gopher:		root
ftp:		root
nobody:		root
apache:		root
named:		root
xfs:		root
gdm:		root
mailnull:	root
postgres:	root
squid:		root
rpcuser:	root
rpc:		root
ingres:		root
system:		root
toor:		root
manager:	root
dumper:		root
abuse:		root
newsadm:	news
newsadmin:	news
usenet:		news
ftpadm:		ftp
ftpadmin:	ftp
ftp-adm:	ftp
ftp-admin:	ftp
decode:		root

and here is the system alias file for root:

alias cp='cp -i'
alias l.='ls -d .[a-zA-Z]* --color=tty'
alias ll='ls -l --color=tty'
alias ls='ls --color=tty'
alias mv='mv -i'
alias rm='rm -i'
alias vi='vim'
alias which='alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde'

I don't see anything in any of these files out of the ordinary.