Not just virtual IPs, but virtual MAC

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Wed Mar 24 11:40:03 UTC 2004

I know I can use the "ip addr add" command to add IPs to my firewall system's
public interface.  What I'd like to be able to do, however, is to
masquerade MAC addresses, as well.

I recently acquired business class DSL (recently being yesterday).  I though
that I'd be able to simply set the modem/router to bridging mode (it's a
2Wire 1000HW) and fly.  Unfortunately, since I still have to do PPPoE,
and the techs don't think I can do this even if I have a PPPoE client running
on the system, instead of the router, this router won't support what I want
to do.

I probably have the option of swapping routers, but since I'm already up
and running, I'd like the option of trying to make it work with this one.

Since the modem/router provides DHCP (after a fashion), and does it in a
relatively "static" way, based on MAC, I'd like to be able to masquerade
MAC addresses as well as IPs.

So...the $65,000 question now becomes:

How, if at all possible, to I add/masquerade/fake MAC addresses on an ethX
interface under linux (FC1, in this case, but the answer is probably generic
enough)?

Thanks.