Passwd --stdin pipe

I'm trying to use the passwd --stdin option to pipe a plain text
password through passwd so it gets encrypted and set properly (since
this is my first attempt at writing shell scripts and whatnot). Just for
testing, I'm running this code at the command line. This is the syntax
I'm using:

echo password | passwd --stdin username

It's says all tokens updated successfully but when I try to log in using
the new password, I get a login incorrect. If I type:

passwd username

And type the password at the command prompt, I can then use the password
to login. What gives?

Jeff Graves, MCP
Image Source, Inc.
10 Mill Street