Group ownership problem

lasalle at bard.edu lasalle at bard.edu
Wed Mar 24 19:56:01 UTC 2004

Quoting Ryan Golhar <golharam at umdnj.edu>:

> I've got multiple machines all authenticating via NIS from one machine.
> All the machines recognize the users in a group called 'users'.  I see
> an entry for this group in /etc/group on the NIS server, however I don't
> see the entry on any of the NIS clients.
>
> When I do an 'ls' on the home diretories on an NIS client, they all
> recognize the home directories belonging to the group 'users'.
>
> On one particular machine, the users can log on to, but the group
> 'users' isn't displayed.  The group ID of 100 is displayed instead.  I
> can't figure out why this one machine doesn't recognize the group
> properly.  Any help would be appreciated...
>
> Ryan

the user group is a system group (read: installed by default USUALLY depending
on the system).  It is also generally not exported by the NIS group map (unless
you edited /var/yp/Makefile, which I get a feeling you did not).  To verify
this, try 'ypcat group | grep user' on one of your NIS clients.  Then try 'grep
user /etc/group'.  If I have read your mind correctly so far (not knowing what
OS the NIS server is running nor any of the clients),  you should notice that
the client which displays GID 100 doesn't have  the user group in /etc/group.
Adding it will make that pesky 100 change to user.

hth,
Jurvis LaSalle