More IP Forwarding & Routing Confusion

jg jg573 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 17:54:55 UTC 2004

I have 2 systems (1 Xp, 1 Linux) connected to a hub.
The hub the connects to eth0 (internal) on a Redhat9
box.
eth1 of the Redhat 9 box goes to external network.

I have turned on IP Forwarding on the Redhat 9 box.

Do I have to add route statements (on the Redhat9 box
with Ip Forwarding) so that the traffic into eth0 gets
sent out eth1 ?

If I try to ping hosts on the external net from the
systems behind eth0, I get ICMP "Destination Host
Unreachable" errors from the eth0 IP address.

The 2 systems behind also cannot ping eth1 of the
Redhat 9 box.

Make sense?