Changing run levels -init.d

Jurvis LaSalle lasalle at bard.edu
Fri Mar 26 00:34:35 UTC 2004

On Mar 25, 2004, at 6:45 PM, Percent, Lonnie M. wrote:

> I have put my scripts in init.d - and have not added them to chkconfig.
>> that's ok as I don't want them changed that way by anyone.

I don't think you have fully grokked the man page for chkconfig,
specifically the -add option and the two little lines that you add at
the top of your startup script.

from the man page<snip>

Each  service which should be manageable by chkconfig needs two or more
        commented lines added to its init.d script. The first line
tells  chk-
        config  what  runlevels the service should be started in by
default, as
        well as the start and stop priority levels. If the service
should  not,
        by default, be started in any runlevels, a - should be used in
place of
        the runlevels list.  The second line contains  a  description
for  the
        service,  and may be extended across multiple lines with
backslash con-
        tinuation.

        For example, random.init has these three lines:
        # chkconfig: 2345 20 80
        #              higher quality random number generation.
        This says that the random script should be started in levels 2,
3,  4,
        and 5, that its start priority should be 20, and that its stop
priority
        should be 80.  You should be able to figure out  what  the
description
        says;  the \ causes the line to be continued.  The extra space
in front
        of the line is ignored.

hth,
Jurvis LaSalle