Linux 8.0 - scsi tape drive

Mayur Patel unix_script at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 26 03:12:54 UTC 2004

HI...

This is my first posting so not sure if posting in correct place or not. Please advise if not.

I want to use HP DAT 24X6 SCSI tape drive with Linux 8.0. I've attached the tape drive with linux but getting following error.

can someone please educate how the scsi tape drive installation works in linux ?

can someone please classified below output with his/her suggestion/comments ?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'd follow up if i need to provide any more information.

thanks again. please help.

[BDC root]# mt -f /dev/st0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (50000):
DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

[BDC root]# more /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C1557A           Rev: U812
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI
revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 01
  Vendor: HP       Model: C1557A           Rev: U812
  Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI
revision: 02

[BDC root]# uname -r
2.4.18-14

[BDC root]# tar cvf /dev/st0 /etc
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
etc/
etc/sysconfig/
etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-aliases
tar: /dev/st0: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes

[BDC root]# mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (50000):
DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

[BDC root]# mt -f /dev/nst1 status
/dev/nst1: No such device or address

[BDC root]# mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (50000):
DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

****
File number=-1, block number=-1 <<<<<<< those are negative -1