without MAC addr in dhcpd.conf will not get IP addr

Hi, I successfully boot up diskless client to DOS.  In
my dhcpd.conf, I have specified the MAC address of
each network card like :
host client1 {
 hardware ethernet xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
}

When I removed the host client {...}, my client will
not get the DHCP address.  I do not wish to key in
thousands of MAC address in the dhcpd.conf when I
implement this.  Any help?  Thanks.