NFS Oddities

Once in a while (say, once every two weeks), I'll login to a box running automounter, and the mount will have failed. Rather than being dropped into my shared home directory, I am left in "/". If I try to access any other automounted shares, they fail.

/etc/init.d/autofs says that everything looks fine. On my server; however, /var/log/messages informs me that:

Mar 26 11:20:10 bubba rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from 10.1.96.6:675 for /raid/bin (/raid/bin)
Mar 26 11:20:10 bubba rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted

If I restart the NFS daemon process on the server, everything goes back to normal. Things will behave again for a few weeks, then boom. It hits again. When this happens; however, it's only to the one client system. Other clients are unaffected.

I know this is complex. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot weird NFS issues?

Thanks,

Norman

Norman Elton
College of William & Mary