changing the kernel source.

Hi,

I had a question regarding modifying some of the kernel source. If I make
certain small changes to the kernel source files, do I need to re-install
the whole kernel,(redo the config, install modules, install kernel
image..) ? Or will the changes take effect if I simply compile the kernel
sources and reboot ? I'm confused about the whole thing. I needed to
modify entry.S and couple of other files for academic reasons.

Thank you.