auto delete email in mailbox

Chris Purcell redhat at cjp.us
Mon Mar 29 15:01:52 UTC 2004

> We are using the stock Sendmail and all mail is stored in the
> /var/spool/mail directory under individual mailboxes as the name of the
> login on the server.  Basically we made no change to it from the
> original  installation of RHEL AS.

Sendmail uses the mbox format, where each email in a users mailbox is
stored in a single text file.  This makes it more difficult to implement
what you want to do.  If you switched to Postfix and Maildir-style
mailboxes, you could easily write a Perl or bash script that would execute
daily via cron to do what you want.  If you want to make the switch, I'll
see if I can write it....

Chris