Re: auto delete email in mailbox

On Mar 29, 2004, at 10:01 AM, Chris Purcell wrote:

We are using the stock Sendmail and all mail is stored in the
/var/spool/mail directory under individual mailboxes as the name of the
login on the server.  Basically we made no change to it from the
original  installation of RHEL AS.

Sendmail uses the mbox format, where each email in a users mailbox is
stored in a single text file. This makes it more difficult to implement
what you want to do.  If you switched to Postfix and Maildir-style
mailboxes, you could easily write a Perl or bash script that would execute daily via cron to do what you want. If you want to make the switch, I'll
see if I can write it....

There are plenty of modules that will handle mbox formats as well. Hell, if I can write a script to recursively detach tiff attachments from users' mail, this should be a piece of cake. ;-)

use Mail::Internet;

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting