nfs (xfs) problem in 2.4.x kernel

We have several Linux x86 workstations here.  In "dmesg" on
these PCs I see a lot of errors that read:

NFS: Server wrote less than requested.

 AND

eth0: TX underrun, threshold adjusted.

This message appears whenever someone logged into the
Mandrake/RH/whatever box (with NFS autofs mounting in his/her home
directory) tries to write something to an nfs-mounted directory
(usually the home directory).  Even small files of 1.5 MB or so often
generate something such as "I/O error" when saving a file (really
small files usually get saved fine).  And the home directory is always
based in an SGI (O2, Indy, Onyx) with xfs file system.

Intra-SGI these transfer take place perfectly, but
Mandrake/RH/OtherLinux generates these problems.

Has anyone seen this error before and does anyone know how
to get around it?  The kernel used is 2.4.22-28 for most
of the Mandrake boxes, or at least 2.4.x anyway.  We have not
gone to 2.6.x yet.

Thanks in advance.

baker deslab mit edu

PS: Interestingly, when writing a big file, via e.g.,
	cp file1 file2

The command always fails the first time.  Try a second time
and it works.  Even if you delete the partially-written
file2 and execute the command again, it works.  Very strange.