iptables allow remote connection by MAC?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Mar 30 00:44:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 00:03, Parker Morse wrote:

> I know that iptables has the ability to filter by source MAC address,
> but the documentation I've read so far suggests that it's only useful
> for machines on the same subnet. Is this a technical limitation of IP
> filtering, or iptables in particular? Am I right to hope that
> MAC-address filtering might help me get my developer connected more
> consistently?

No.  As you have found, MAC addresses filtering is only useful for hosts
physically on the same subnet.  That is the way things work.

Since it appears the developer is connecting via ssh, what harm in
keeping this port open?

--
"An opinion is like an asshole - everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan, The Dead Pool - 1988.