some networking questions

Nabin Limbu nlimbu at healthnet.org.np
Tue Mar 30 13:05:07 UTC 2004

Hi,

Some networking questions. Hoping for your help.

Question 1:
--------------
In /etc/sysconfig/network, I have an entry of FORWARD_IPV4="yes". But, whenever I
restart network service (service network restart), ip forwarding gets turned off i.e.
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward resets to "0" from "1". What should I do to turn ip
forwarding to remain ON after restarting network service also?

Question 2:
---------------
Using ifconfig command, I get list of interfaces with other related information like traffic
information (RX, TX packets). But, in one of my server I don't get traffic information of
eth0:0 but I get for eth0 interface. But, in other servers I get traffic information for both
eth0 and eth0:0. Is there any way to know how it happened?

Question 3:
In my lan, somebody used ip address of proxy server in his computer, which resulted
problem in whole network since the traffic to proxy server was redirected to his
computer. Is there any way to stop / diminish the effect of such incident?

With Regards
Nabin Limbu