Error in logs regarding samba

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 31 01:12:05 UTC 2004

Jody Cleveland wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running redhat 3 enterprise server as. I installed samba during the
> install, and it's been running for about a week now. I looked in the
> LogWatch, and noticed this bit:
>
>  --------------------- samba Begin ------------------------
>

> **Unmatched Entries**
> auth/auth_domain.c:check_ntdomain_security(289)
> check_ntdomain_security: could not
> fetch trust account password for domain 'WALSDOMAIN' : 125 Time(s)
> nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:process_browse_packet(1050)  process_browse_packet:
> Discarding
> datagram from IP 172.30.2.62. Source name MYSTIQUE<00> is one of our
> names ! : 307
> Time(s)
>
>  ---------------------- samba End -------------------------
>
> What does that mean? I tried searching google for answers, and got more
> lost. How would I go about correcting this?

Jody, I don't understand how you got more lost. Google pulled up this
little gem from Andrew Bartlett (one of the samba gurus) when I put in
your query:

Have you joined the domain with 'smbpasswd -j -r PDC -Uadministrator'?

This message indicates that the shared secret between your server and
the DC cannot be found in the secrets.tdb.   Joining the domain (as
indicated in the docs) sets up this secret.

Andrew Bartlett

Basically - your trying to get samba to join the domain hosted by
another PDC. To do this, it must be authenticated, which you haven't done.

It was found here:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2003-October/000612.html

Regards,
Ed.