(OT) Mail got blocked because of SORBS/DYNABLOCK

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Wed Mar 31 21:14:37 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 04:01 pm, Gerry Doris wrote:
<snip>
> > So my question basically, does changing SMTP server for his account
> > (using his
> > ISP SMTP server for example) help fixing this problem? If yes, why? if
> > the rule looks at the originating IP instead of the SMTP, any SMTP server
> > that he
> > uses will still trigger the rule, won't it ? And why does his other
> > account
> > (with different SMTP) does not trigger that some DYNABLOCK rule?
> >
> > Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > RDB
>
> I believe you will find that the DYNABLOCK rule will trigger if his
> originating IP is in a block assigned using dhcp by his ISP.  He can get
> around this by using his ISP's mail server to relay his mail.  This rule
> carries a large score.

This is what I don't understand. If his originating IP is what trigger this
rule, how can changing his SMTP relay to the ISP's solve anything? He can use
any SMTP server, but the originating IP will remain the same, right?

> In other words, these RBL's are based on the assumption that people in
> these categories can't be trusted to run their own mail servers.
> Experience has shown that they often misconfigure their servers causing
> others grief.  The belief is that they should be using their ISP's server
> instead.  This will avoid the spamassassin scores.
>
> It is also likely that your friend is violating his ISP's user agreement.
> These agreements often don't allow servers.  If his ISP does allow servers
> he might be able to get his ip removed from the RBL's but it will still be
> difficult.

I think I'm misunderstood. Right now, he is using *my* mail server, which is
outside his ISP, to relay his mail. My mail server (edu domain) is configured
to use SMTP authentication. This still triggers the rule, which baffles me,
since the (newly configured) mail server is not in RBL, nor it's an open
relays.

So you may be right that telling him to use his ISP's mail server instead will
fix the problem, but I still don't understand why. Why should it be any
different than using my mail server? Please enlighten me :)

Thanks

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja