Configuring Sendmail and VSFTPD

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri May 7 14:39:59 UTC 2004

On May 7, 2004 04:55 am, Ben Sewell wrote:
> First thing: I'm not sure if you allow attachments to be uploaded. Sorry if
> you don't allow it,
>
> I decided to try Pete's suggestion and created the user "Pectabyte". I then
> did the changes to httpd.conf and restarted my linux box. I don't know
> whats going on, but yes httpd starts automatically when red hat 9 starts.
>
> Attached is my httpd.conf file for Apache. Both websites are showing my
> website, which is the DocumentRoot. Can somebody tell me what to do in able
> to fix this problem?
>
> Ben

Hi Ben,
Thanks for the plug, but I think that was Rodolfo's suggestion you are using:)
Anyway, the only thing that jumps out is that you are listening on port 8080
but your VirtualHost definitions do not show that. Try "<VirtualHost *:8080>"
for the top of each. As I recall, if a request is answered but does not fit
any of the virtuals, the first is used as the default. With that in mind, you
could swap the order of the two Virtual stanza's and see of the other one
always displays.

The other thing to check (but I think it would just cause a 404 or something),
is the permissions on /home/pectabyte/www
/home/pectabyte must be world executable, /home/pectabyte/www must be world
executable and readable  and any dirs in that must be world exec & readable,
and any files must be world readable. I suppose you could use the "apaache
group" instead of world for those permissions.

To restart Apache, you do not need to reboot.
to restart "service httpd restart" (depending on your version)
also you can try "service httpd configtest" (again dep version)

To see what services start at different runlevels, as root, run "chkconfig
--list". Basiclly, it shows if a service is going to be on or off at a
certain runlevel. runlevels are systems 'states', for example runlevel 3 is
regular command line level, and runlevel 5, is like 3 but includes the X
graphical login as well. Have a read of 'man init' for some more info on
runlevels and what they do.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce