Problem with inbound connections

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Fri May 14 12:44:26 UTC 2004

From: "Daniel H. Vickers" <shrekster at danielvickers.com>
> OK, I included a dump of netstat -tap in netstattap.txt... Just want
someone
> to double check it for me. Also when you say IP address of your host, you
> mean the ip address of my server, correct?

Daniel,

Okay, I've slept since then, so let's make sure that I understand what's
going on first, then we can see if we can figure out why it's happening.

1) You have a linux box running at home that you are using as a server.

2) You have another box running at home as a desktop.  Is it linux or
windows?

3) Both boxes are hooked up to the same switch or hub, sharing an ip space
(192.168.1.x or similar)

4) When you are at the console of the server, you are able to access the
services that you desire (imap, pop3, telnet, etc).

5) When you are at the desktop, you cannot remotely access those services
(except webmin?)

6) Your netstat -tap shows that your services are running and that they are
set to listen to all IP addresses.

7) Your firewall is currently disabled.

8) When at the console of your server, you are able to access external
services (use mozilla to see redhat.com, etc).

Some immediate recommendations:

1) on the server, try running "service iptables stop" and see if it now
works.

2) Install nmap on the desktop box (nmapwin if it's a windows box) and try
running a scan of your server to see what the ports are saying about being
open.

3) On the server, run "ifconfig -a" and show us the results.  On the
desktop, if it's linux, run the same.  If it's windows, run "ipconfig /all"
and show us the results.

4) Are you running a "cable router" or other NAT device between the two
boxes?

Ben