Thanks Ed Kim - USB Driver

Shiraz Baig shiraz_baig at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 04:53:33 UTC 2004

Thanks Mr Ed Kim I have got my USB working now.

I tried not_to_load, the usb_core.o, and directly load
the usb_uhci, but it gave some unsresolved symblols.
So, I had to load the usb_core.o. Then I loaded
usb_uhci. After that I tired to load usb_storage. It
again gave unrsolved symbols which pertained to scsi.
So, then I looked at the
/lib/modules/2.4.x/kernel/drivers/scsi and decided to
load scsi_mod module. After that I loaded the
usb_storage. And voila! I got my usb drive wwroking.
Thanks Mr for putting me on the right path.

I also tried "modprobe usb_storage", so that it loads
all the modules itself, resolving dependencies etc.
But it didn't. So, I reverted to the manual loading of
all the above mentioned modules.

Now, I wished to automate the procedure. So, I put
these modules in the /etc/modules.conf like this.
alias usb1 usb_core
alias usb2 usb_uhci
alias scs1 scsi_mod
alias scs2 usb-storage

I booted the computer. But the USB did not work. So,
now I have put these commands for loading modles in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local. And now it is working. When I boot
the computer these modules are automatically loaded
and my USB drive is working.

Thanks
bye
shiraz