where can I find comprehensive redhat manual?

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat May 1 03:58:10 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Apr 30, Ding Li did say:

> Do you mean this directory?
> /usr/share/doc
>
> I find lots of info there. Actually I know the place,but I keep
> forgetting them.:) You remind me.  Anyway,thanks a lot.

Another thing you may want to remember about finding those docs that
might help if you install a package that happens to put it's docs some
where else. (While I think most use /usr/share I don't know if there are
any exceptions) Anyway you can query rpm for where the docs are. It's all
in the rpm man page.  Though I remember it taking me a while to figure
this part out so I'll be nice and give you a couple of examples.

rpm -q -f Command_Path_Name -d

If the command was installed by rpm then one of that should tell you
where the docs are.  You can get the Command_Path_Name with the which
command.

On my FC1 I just did this for opera, and f-prot.

$ which opera
/usr/bin/opera
$ rpm -q  -f /usr/bin/opera -d
/usr/share/doc/opera/LICENSE
/usr/share/doc/opera/help
$ which f-prot
/usr/local/bin/f-prot
$ rpm -q  -f /usr/local/bin/f-prot -d
/usr/share/man/man1/f-prot.1
/usr/share/man/man8/check-updates.pl.8
$

--
|   ---   ___
|   <0>   <->	   Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
|	^		J(tWdy)P
|    ~\___/~	     <<jtwdyp at ttlc.net>>

But if I actually knew everything, then I'd know I was an idiot...