Fedora dual boot installation problems

Robert C Paulsen Jr robert at paulsenonline.net
Sat May 1 09:36:41 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 02:28, Edwin Humphries wrote:
> I'm installing fedora on a windows XP computer: it has a 40Gb
> partition: 13Gb NTFS windows system partition, 102 boot Linux
> partition, 11.9 Gb Linux root partition, 957 Mb Linux swap partition,
> and 2 Fat32 shared data partitions.
>
> I've been consistently getting 2 errors:
>
> 1.	when partitioning, I get a "boot partition /boot may not meet
> booting constraints of your system for you architecture".

Should not be a problem. It means that the partition containing the
/boot directory is beyond cylinder 1023. In the past this was likely to
prevent the kernel from being reachable by the boot process. Should be
OK nowadays (but I don't know if dual boot with XP makes a difference).
In any case it will not prevent a successful install.

> 2.	when installing packages (at random stages): "There was an error
> installing [package]. This can indicate media failure, lack of disk
> space, and/or hardware problems. This is a fatal error and your
> install will be aborted. Please verify your media and try your
> install again. Press the OK button to reboot your system." The media
> has checked out fine.

Sounds like hardware/media problems. Does it always occur with the same
CD? Try to get a replacement CD.

--
Bob