Mount/Mirrordir questions

Frank Reichenbacher frank at bio-con.com
Sun May 2 18:46:09 UTC 2004

I'm trying to set up a second IDE drive I installed in my RH 7.0 box to
mirror the original drive using mirrordir as a backup for when it fails.
I am following the directions on p. 446 of the Red Hat Linux 7 Bible, by
Christopher Negus.

I've got the drive installed and partitioned. That part is okay.

I ran mkdir:

mkdir -p /mirror/home

The directory appears in a GUI file manager window, but I can't cd to it
because its not mounted.

mount /dev/hdb9 /mirror/home

produces a message from mount that I need to specify the filesystem
type. I can't find anything in man manual that even mentions filesystem
types except in print and list switches. In any case, hdb9 is a logical
linux partition within the extended partition on the new drive. Why
would I need to specify the filesystem type to mount?

Frank