Mount question

Robert C Paulsen Jr robert at paulsenonline.net
Sun May 2 23:33:49 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 12:22, Frank Reichenbacher wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a second IDE drive I installed in my RH 7.0 box to
> mirror the original drive using mirrordir as a backup for when it fails.
> I am following the directions on p. 446 of the Red Hat Linux 7 Bible, by
> Christopher Negus.
>
> I've got the drive installed and partitioned. That part is okay.
>
> I ran mkdir:
>
> mkdir -p /mirror/home

After installing the drive and partitioning it you need to format the
partition as a particular type of filesystem. Ext2 is a reasonable
choice:

mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdb9

WARNING!!! Be sure /dev/hdb9 is the new partition that as yet has no
data on it.

Once it is formatted you will be able to mount it:

mkdir -p /mirror/home
mount /dev/hdb9 /mirror/home

You won't even need to specify the filesystem type since the mount
command will be able to figure it out by looking at the partition.