unset / change env settings

Johnson, Shaunn SJohnson6 at bcbsm.com
Mon May 3 16:21:59 UTC 2004

Howdy:

Running RHEL v. 3.0 (new installation); logged
onto the X session (KDE).

I had recovered  my users directory when
I seem to recall that some environment had been
preset in the .bash_profile.  So, I edited
the file and tried to re-source it.  When I did
an 'env', I saw that the settings were still there;
so I unset <whatever> by hand and made sure
that there was nothing like this in the /etc/profile
or /etc/bashrc files.

I open a different shell and env says the settings
are still there.

On my ssh term (Putty) - I su-ed to that user and
the settings were not there.

Why is that?

Thanks!

-X