ftp

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue May 4 16:13:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 05:57:39PM +0300, Bilal Dar wrote:
> I am using vsftpd, its working fine. I want to know one thing, currently if i use ftp://x.x.x.x  i get the pub folder and to make user connect to his home dir i have to use ftp://user@x.x.x.x
>
> I was wondering can i do just that i put ftp://x.x.x.x in my browser and it asks for the username and password, after authentication user gets his home directory.

This is a browser question, not a server question.  Based on my personal
experiences - and I manage a production FTP server with over 1,100 user
accounts on it - browsers and authenticated FTP just don't mix.
Browsers and anonymous FTP is bearable, but authenticated FTP is just
asking for problems.

Use a real FTP client - there are many to chose from - and you'll be far
happier in the long run.

The bottom line answer for your question is NO - the RFC specifies what
should happen with an FTP url and usernames (RFC1738):

3.2.1. FTP Name and Password

   A user name and password may be supplied; they are used in the ftp
   "USER" and "PASS" commands after first making the connection to the
   FTP server.  If no user name or password is supplied and one is
   requested by the FTP server, the conventions for "anonymous" FTP are
   to be used, as follows:

        The user name "anonymous" is supplied.

        The password is supplied as the Internet e-mail address
        of the end user accessing the resource.

   If the URL supplies a user name but no password, and the remote
   server requests a password, the program interpreting the FTP URL
   should request one from the user.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org