disable firewall

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Wed May 5 00:27:03 UTC 2004

On May 4, 2004 02:42 am, Mohamed Kerbachi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> /sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 ipchains  off
>
> RedHat 6.1 !!! you should upgrade your server !!!

Hi,
using chkconfig does not stop the firewall (or any service) but changes it's
run level status which will go into effect next time that runlevel is
entered.

So the question is what is it that needs to be done? Stop the firewall or stop
and disable the firewall.

On a related note (I found interesting anyway), a while ago I checked some
iptables rules for someone, and made some changes, loaded them up on my
machine, got the expected errors (non valid interface etc) and then stopped
the firewall using 'service iptables stop'.
Shortly afterwards I experienced connectivity problems. The problem was that
the rules were partial and no default policies were in place, so even though
I stopped the iptables service (the user part), netfilter (the kernel part)
lived on. I needed to set default rules and start/stop the fw in order to
clear the test rules. It turns out "stop" means flush the existing rules and
set the default policies (normally accept for all chains)
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce