Routing and bandwidth problem

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed May 5 13:45:37 UTC 2004

At 06:36 5/5/2004, you wrote:
>From: "Crucificator" <crucificator at xnet.ro>
> > why not use virtual adapters with ip's from different networks and use
> > only one card?
>
>Because then you'd be sharing 100Mb between the four networks.  Rodolfo said
>he wanted to give each client 100Mb connection to the router/server.  Still,
>it's not a *bad* idea, perhaps using two dual-ip cards...

I'm not hung up on everyone getting a 100 Mbps pipe to the server, since
that particular capability would be used less frequently. Getting even 10
Mbps to each tenant would be just fine as far as bandwidth goes, so we're
OK there.

The reasons I had for thinking of separate cards were mostly related to the
thought that security would be better by keeping each tenant totally
separate, the odds of one tenant managing to get onto the other's network
would be much lower by not connecting them to the same switch, and that I
could assign different subnets to different tenants via DHCP and then
clearly see where a problem is just by looking at the IP address. I had
also assumed that limiting bandwidth per interface would be easier than
doing it per IP address, but that's just a WAG.

I don't see a way to do this with virtual IP addresses, especially the
assigning different subnets via DHCP bit. I *am* open to suggestions,
though... that's why I posted here. :-)

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com