Configuring Sendmail and VSFTPD

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri May 7 00:58:54 UTC 2004

At 17:53 5/6/2004, you wrote:
>first off, wow fast response.=)

Welcome to Linux. <grin>

>I want to install cutecast. (http://www.artscore.net/cutecast/). I asked
>the admin what SMTP server they use for sending email notifications,
>activation and they said Sendmail.

Sendmail is already configured to accept mail from its same machine
(localhost) but not from the outside, so it's a reasonably secure
configuration. If you do want to accept mail from the outside, please read
my "Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO" [1] and ask any questions either here or
directly. Otherwise, no need to do anything.

[1] http://www.simpaticus.com/linux

>Basicly I want to give my friend FTP access to his webarea (runs apache2)
>so that / in his FTP client would be '/var/www/html/PS' so that he can
>upload his files and chmod.

I would suggest that the best way is to make a user for your friend, say
"joe". Then create a "www" directory in joe's home directory (/home/joe),
and create a "virtualhost" in Apache that points to /home/joe/www. That way
his website files are in his home directory, where they are easy for him to
reach but difficult for others (except Apache). You may need to make sure
/home/joe and /home/joe/www have 701 permissions, I'm not sure. vsftpd will
automatically chroot the user to his home directory, I think. If not, it's
easy to configure but I don't remember how off-hand.

Note that this has the advantage that people usually remember to back up
/home but usually not /var... makes your data safer and your users simpler
to manage. If you wanted to try a completely different approach, however,
you could try just creating a user "psforum" and changing that user's home
directory to /var/www/html/PS. Same results, I think, just not as neat.

Post again if you get stuck somewhere.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz