how to use Redhat's glibc SRPMs?

ozgun erdogan kushcu at hotmail.com
Fri May 7 10:50:23 UTC 2004

hi -

I'm running Fedora 1 (kernel 2.4.22) with gcc 3.3.2 on it. I downloaded the
Redhat source RPM (glibc-2.3.2-4.80.8.src.rpm). I'm planning to compile from
this source as I need to modify certain parts of glibc for experimental
purposes. When I unpack the RPM, I get:

glibc-2.3.2-20030312.tar.bz2
glibc-redhat-20030312.tar.bz2
nptl-20030312.tar.bz2 and 39 patches.

I rarely use RPMs, and until now, I directly installed files without having
to compile. I have two questions. Would the SRPM for Redhat 8.0 work fine on
my Fedora? (it's the only one on Redhat's website).

What should I do with these 39 patches? How do I apply the patches? How do I
use the files generated after untarring glibc-redhat-20030312.tar.bz2? Any
ideas or helpful links would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ozgun.