newbie network question..

Chris Purcell redhat at cjp.us
Fri May 7 14:00:08 UTC 2004

> Hi,
>
> Excuse me if this is a stupid one...
> One of my colleague told me that its possible to assign the same NIC
> with multiple IP addresses in Solaris. Is this possible in redhat too? I
> am running RH8.
> If so, can't we make that BOX act as a router? Can the same box forward
> packets to another network? What are the config changes to be made and
> the commmand ?
>

> --
> With Regards,
> Devidas Komarath.
>
> Cisco Systems, Inc.
> 'Empowering the Internet Generation'.

Yes, you can do this by entering this command...

ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

To make your changes survive a reboot, create the file
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0 and just copy whatever is in
the ifcfg-eth0 file (except for the changes of course).  It will look
something like this...

DEVICE=eth0:0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.255