how to use Redhat's glibc SRPMs?

tom pollerman tompollerman at mail.landolls.com
Fri May 7 15:32:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 07 May 2004 10:50:23 +0000
"ozgun erdogan" <kushcu at hotmail.com> wrote:

> hi -
>
> I'm running Fedora 1 (kernel 2.4.22) with gcc 3.3.2 on it. I
> downloaded the Redhat source RPM (glibc-2.3.2-4.80.8.src.rpm). I'm
> planning to compile from this source as I need to modify certain
> parts of glibc for experimental purposes. When I unpack the RPM, I
> get:
>
> glibc-2.3.2-20030312.tar.bz2
> glibc-redhat-20030312.tar.bz2
> nptl-20030312.tar.bz2 and 39 patches.
>
> I rarely use RPMs, and until now, I directly installed files without
> having to compile. I have two questions. Would the SRPM for Redhat
> 8.0 work fine on my Fedora? (it's the only one on Redhat's website).
>
> What should I do with these 39 patches? How do I apply the patches?
> How do I use the files generated after untarring
> glibc-redhat-20030312.tar.bz2? Any ideas or helpful links would be
> appreciated.

 Sorry, but I'm not sure if glibc for RH 8 witll work with Fedora,but:

 There is a fairly good step-by-step example of what you propose at:

http://www.lsc-group.phys.uwm.edu/beowulf/
medusa/maintenance/rpm_manual.htm
(Mind the line-wrap; should be all one line.)

If you use rpm to install the src.rpm, and have rpm-build installed,
you can then use:

    rpm -bp <spec.file> to apply the patches automatically

See 'man rpm' in the "build" section.
Also,

     http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/

for further reading.